Wednesday, March 4, 2009

More cowbell won’t cure this fever




I woke up this morning and it hit me like a ton of bricks.

I’ve got the fever.

It has hit so hard I thought about calling off work but I don’t think they’d understand.

See, it’s not an illness I’m suffering from, it’s Tribe fever.

It happens every spring (did I just say spring?) and it last until October.

If the Indians play their cards right this year, I’ll be diagnosed until November.

The Central Division, in my opinion, is weaker than its been in years and despite what seems to be a very questionable starting rotation, I’m picking the Tribe to win the Central. (Please note that I also picked the Tribe to win the World Series last season. In my defense, who didn’t.)

If all goes well (and we know it never does) the Tribe’s offense should be sizzling as long as Victor Martinez or Travis Hafner decide to show a pulse and we could have the most improved bullpen in the American League with the addition of Kerry Wood and Joe Smith to go along with the always solid Rafael Perez.

If Rafael Betancourt can return to his 2007 form and Jensen Lewis (or J-Lew the Kid as I like to call him) can start off where he left off in 2008, I like our chances.

Starting pitching on the other hand, now that just gives me a real fever.

No way Cliff Lee can duplicate what he did last season. The book is still out on No. 2 starter Fausto Carmona and No. 3 starter, Carl Pavano may break his back if he tries to pick up a book. (Just nine starts in his last two seasons due to injuries.)

As for our fourth and fifth starter, I would be a better option over a scrub like Jeremy Sowers.

There is nothing sweet about Sowers.

Sorry I’m not totally enthused with his 5-13 record over the past two years with a 6.00 E.R.A.

Hopefully our bullpen will shape up so that our starters won’t have the pressure of pitching into the sixth or seventh inning each night because with our starting rotation, we are going to need a reliable bullpen.

Plus I’m expecting this offense to be the cat's pajamas.

With a line-up of Sizemore, DeRosa, V-Mart, Peralta, Hafner, Garko or Shoppach, Choo, Francisco and Cabrera, I expect some pretty good numbers.

The fever is officially in full swing and it's one you may want to catch.

-Nick Carrabine
NCarrabine@News-Herald.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home